Removal Company Hull
We take pride in our work, carrying it out to the best of our ability comes as standard with Monstermove Removals! We use specialist equipment to keep your worldly possessions safe whilst in our care which include sofa protection, mattress bags and our trusty woolly blankets which we use to wrap your cabinets and such to prevent knocks, wear and damage whilst in transport. Our team of expert packers will ensure that your home contents are carefully wrapped and secured, piece by piece as they are loaded onto our vehicle; with time taken to ensure that every measure has been taken to prevent damage. As we have learned in our time in the industry, there will always be companies that will offer to beat our rates, offering a cheaper service. Some people will opt for a cheaper company and save themselves £10, or £20, but what do you actually save? And at what price that you pay?
We saw another local company on our travels this week, we have covered their registration mark so as to not cause any upset but you can see that the setting is on Sutton Road, in Hull. The things that we find troubling about the image below is that firstly, the tail-lift is in the lowered position, which is just dangerous! But also that the shutter is open which wouldn't be half as bad if the van's contents were secured! Anything can fall out of this van onto the road whilst the vehicle is on it's journey and I dare-say that the driver wouldn't even know. Further to that, you can see the drawer at the bottom of the picture which has opened would have left the cabinet altogether, had it no been leaning on an appliance!
This kind of pack is too easy, and all to common. We have seen examples of this many times over the years, people just throwing items in a van, without a care. You will find it is mostly the cheaper companies due to them not having time to do the job properly because the job isn't worth the time it needs. The idea is to get the job on and off quickly and move onto the next job in a hope to make a decent living!
How are we different?
Our fee reflects our experience levels and the amount of protective equipment that our vehicles carry to ensure that you don't find scratches, knocks, chips and other damage in the weeks after your relocation. We ensure that the risk of damage is kept to a minimum, to put it bluntly, we would be embarrassed if a customer was to find fresh damage on an item that we moved. Our van packing is an art, more of a performance if you will. Some of our team are absolute specialists when it comes the the packing of our vehicles and are anal about how the pack is carried out. In reality, packing a van properly can be quite fun, it's like Tetris on a commercial level and I personally find that a good pack offers a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. Our teams compete over who has the tidiest van at the end of the day and carry a sense of pride in the way that their vehicles are maintained. Standard for Monstermove Removal Company Hull
These are the things that the customer can only assume and doesn't really see and we hope that this blog post highlights the difference between Monstermove Removals Hull and some of the other companies. When a company asks you what you have been quoted, or states that they will beat any quote; you should ask yourself, why? How can you beat any quote, what are you leaving out that can help you offer a cheaper removal service. Further to that, why are you doing it cheap. We don't use our pricing as a selling point to get work in, we charge what we charge and our selling point is what you get for your money. I mean we could ditch our decent staff and hire monkeys, we could cut back on our insurance, or even cut it out altogether and compete with these companies but in our business model, we target the people who want the job done properly, and aren't looking for the cheapest option. We have literally hundreds of pictures that our teams send each other and post onto our forum, showing the quality of their work. Here is one below, spot the difference!
Monstemove - Removal Company Hull
Choose Monstermove as your removal company Hull. You can request a quote on our house removals quote page
Wm Jacksons, Grandways and Sainsburys. A journey through time
We're at it again. Another nostalgic venture! This time down the Avenues in HU5. I barely remember this Grandways as we lived nearer to the one on Derringham Bank (Calvert Lane) when I was a nipper. I used to do the shopping for my mother there, I must have been young because I remember that I used to walk around the shop filling my plastic bag up from the shelves before taking it to the till. The people around must have thought that I was pilfering, quite blatantly too! The things you do! Here are some pictures of one of the most popular shops on Princes avenue and how it has changed over the years..
Not everyone will remember Grandways. I do but only just and I'm kicking 40's door down! You can see here how the store has changed, even once whilst it has been Sainsbury's with a facelift in late 2014.
Below is one of the larger Grandways stores. This one was Grandways, Iceland and Kwik Save. Giving the mighty Asda a run for it's money at one stage!
We love old pictures of Hull and will post anything interesting that we receive. If you have any interesting photos then please get us on Facebook and we'll publish them to our blog.
Self Storage in Hull
Self Storage is widely available, there are lots of storage facilities around but choosing the right one for you can be a challenge. Self storage in Hull facilities offer a wide range of options, storage container sizes, offers, promotions and more. But how do you sift through the gimmicks and find a self storage in Hull facility to suits you.
Monstermove Self Storage Hull is a removal company operating from Kingston upon Hull in East Yorkshire. Although they do not actually offer a storage Hull service of their own, they can help and advise you on options, assist you in choosing a self storage facility and actually move your property in and out of the self storage in Hull facility. Offering an unbiased opinion and golden inside knowledge of all of the facilities within their area, you are guaranteed to find the ideal self storage in Hull facility to suit your needs.
Having frequently visited all of the self storage Hull facilities, they can advise on the best facility for you. With so many options, insurance, 24 hour access, internal/external self storage containers and offers on long-term self storage Hull, they can help you with making the right choice to suit your needs. See our self storage page here.
So whether you're a business or residential customer. Contact Monstermove Removals Hull today.
Iconic Photos of Hull
We love our home-town and its history. Although I don't feel old (well not that old anyway), there have been lots of Hull's past, things that I used to take for granted that have gone and almost been forgotten. Remember Jackson's on Princes Avenue? To me, that doesn't seem to have been gone that long but when I saw it in a picture, it suddenly seemed like a long time ago and brought back lots of great memories of the avenues in my younger years.
I've put together a little album, I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to comment below.
Something strange that I found in my search
I remember the old Shell Petrol Station on Cottingham Road. It is now the McDonald's but when searching Google Images for iconic pictures of Hull, I searched for 'Old Shell Petrol Station, Cottingham road, Hull' and found numerous pictures and bits from the Monstermove Website. How weird is that? Have a look for yourself here
Everybody must remember the car on the roof below. This is now an Ambulance station.
It's hard to believe Wooly's is gone. They sold literally everything!!
The Star of the West was demolished to make way for an extension on Hull's Prospect Centre.
Below, Bond street stores.
And earlier, as it was when it was Romeo & Juliet's discotheque.
Below is the Prudential building which waas bombed by the Nazis during the Blitz :/
Pepis! Everyone remembers Pepis!
The Penny Fountain. It just vanished!
Not so much an old picture but definitely beautiful. Hull's very own Marina.
Below is the Lincoln Castle on the way into Hessle Foreshore
Lexington Avenue. Another iconic club bites the dust!
Jacksons. We found a picture of Grandways and will dedicate a separate post to the three stages of this building's life later in the month.
Hull Truck Theatre as it was on Sutton Fields.
And as it is now on Ferensway.
Below is the train station. Not a very good looking building in my opinion.
The Cenotaph below with the Guinness clock (top centre)
Our very own big screen Where you could sit and freeze with the pigeons. If you wanted!
Hedon Road Maternity Hospital. I was born there!
Carmichael's. Later to be Venue and now the Honeytrap
The image below requires no intro!
Who is the best removal company?
There is no answer to who is the best removal company. Only who is the best removal company for you! One that is best suited to your requirements. When researching removal companies, admittedly there is a lot to take into consideration. So who do you choose? Do you pay a premium for a well known and established 'house-hold name' or do you go for one offering their service at a cheaper rate? What are the pros and cons? We'll try and address some of these in this post.
The bigger companies
With the bigger companies, you feel a certain amount of reassurance that the job will be carried out properly. You can be confident that they will show up on the arranged day and will carry out your removal until completion. You can expect competent staff, equipped and capable of carrying out your removal without an issue. You also have peace of mind that should there be any incidents occur, such as damage for example; you can hold the company accountable and expect a resolution. You're also pretty much guaranteed that the company will carry the necessary licenses and insurance.
The smaller companies
The smaller companies umbrella carries all the less renowned companies. From those that started last week and are just gaining the experience needed to carry out a professional removal to those who have been working in the industry a while, and have the savvy to call themselves professional. Even these start-up companies will advertise as a removal company. It's not good business for them to tell you that they have only been carrying out removals for a short while now is it?
So who is who?
With the smaller companies, it's very hard to tell who is who from a customer stand-point. With so many options, how do you determine which are 'serious movers' and which ones are just in it to pay for their beer money at the end of the week? We know of companies in Hull that have been established longer than us but don't have the commitment that we do and certainly aren't as serious, this does reflects in their work. By the same rule we know of companies that have been running less time than we have and are as committed and motivated as we are, showing huge promise for the future. These, incidentally are among the companies we won't hesitate in recommending in the event that we have no availability on the date that you request.
Tell Tale Signs
The tell-tale signs that you are dealing with someone who is not a serious mover are as follows. Please note that this is not a definitive list and isn't meant to be prejudiced, don't strike a mover off your list for falling into a single one of these categories!
- No website - Most serious companies have a website. It is a point of contact and a source of information on background, skills, staff etc. No website could mean that you are dealing with somebody that just works from a mobile phone. Which is not a good thing!
- Lack of knowledge - If the person on the phone asks you how long you think it will take or doesn't give an estimate, or offers you a price per load. That tells me that they are inexperienced. We can always give a ball-park figure over the phone. Even though we may ask if we can visit to carry out a survey to firm things up.
- Amateur Questions - If you are asked how much your cheapest quote is - A professional moving company know what they charge. They know what their service is worth and what other people charge is irrelevant. The people whom ask what you have been quoted often aren't informed enough to make an educated decision on their own. Being asked what you have been quoted in an attempt to under-cut is usually the tactic of a new-comer who is desperate to win your business.
- No uniform - Professional companies have a uniform. It is a way of promoting themselves and show that they are proud of the work that they do. Having staff in 'own-clothes', trainers and other sportswear is an indication of a less than professional outfit.
- The Price - If you have spoken to five companies and they are mostly within a price-bracket and one company is much lower, there is probably a reason why. Professional removal companies have large overheads. The cost of vehicles, repairs, maintenance, insurance, staff, tax and such mean that there is a general bottom line. If a removal company is much lower priced than others then they are clearly omitting one of the fundamentals above.
- No Land-line or free-phone number - A company is only as traceable as the contact details that you have. A company who works solely from a mobile phone is high-risk in our opinion. If something were to be damaged, stolen or even just lost accidentally, how would you approach them? How would you challenge or claim against them? Mobile phones are disposable these days, and a sim card certainly is. No website means no contact address, so there's no security there and no land-line means the same thing. Would you loan money to a stranger on the strength that you have their mobile number? The same applies.
- Jack of all trades - These are the people that offer plumbing, decorating, gardening, electrical work, cleaning, handyman and DIY services etc. If you're looking for a professional mover, which you should be given the fact you have saved and gone without to make your home nice, then I would avoid these people. To be insured and professional in all of these areas is a tall order. To me, they seem like the type of people that will do anything for a quick-buck!
We have found some articles on people that have fallen foul of rogue removal companies. We'll provide links to them later in this article.
What it all means
Ultimately, your decision is down to you. But if you pick a professional removal company then you are setting yourself up for a stress-free removal. Imagine your worldly possessions being transported in the red minibus in the image below..
We found this guy advertising house removals. This is wrong on so many levels! I'll point out a few niggles that we have noticed and you are free to point any more out in the comments below.
- First and foremost, this is a minibus! Not a removal van!
- There doesn't appear to be any removal equipment (besides the sack truck).
- There is no protection on the furniture. Where we would use blankets to wrap the furniture and protect it from damage, there seems to be no evidence of that here at all.
- You can see that there is some flat pack furniture to the right of the sliding door at the bottom which has been wedged in. Again, unprotected. When this vehicle brakes, or slows down they will surely shift and occupy the hatch area. When the hatch is opened they will fall to the floor outside of the van!
- Above there, more flat-pack. How that has been wedged in leaves a lot to be justified.
- There is a bicycle in there! It seems to be wedged up against a coffee table frame or something and the front wheel is resting on the sofa back! Some things are pushed tightly against all the sharp nuts and bolts which are a risk to the furniture, but also what is protecting the sensitive areas of the bicycle? There are fragile and intricate gearing systems on a bike which won't tolerate stress and pressure outside of their design. And what about the lubricated chain? Naughty packing!
- Sofa cushions on the floor? Really? Cookers, washing machines and fridge freezers occupy that space, quite often I would imagine. Cushions, mattresses or any other soft furnishings should never be anywhere near the floor.
- Those plastic boxes at the back. There is no support or security against cornering. The chances are when the van reached its destination, they would have been on the floor, or on the sofa. Probably open or split!
- That piece of wood right at the front! A piece of removal equipment perhaps? Surely something to do with removals? No! That's a part of the vehicle! A piece of plywood meant to cover the inner side-walls! Oh dear!!
These are the types of things that you learn whilst doing removals day in, day out. Everyone has to learn somewhere, granted. But do you want someone learning the ropes with your worldly possessions? I know I wouldn't. Not to save £30, £40 or even £80. You don't move often so have it done by a professional.
So you see it can be false economy to pick the cheap guys. If this guy hasn't got the most basic of removal accessories then the chances are that he hasn't got insurance to be carrying other people's goods. Or insurance against accidents and or damage. You could save £5 per hour with this guy and have permanent damage to your furniture with no-one to hold accountable.
So again, who is the best removal company?
Who is the best removal company? Is it Monstermove Removals? Maybe, maybe not! We'll let you be the judge. We guarantee an excellent service. We're fully insured, careful, courteous and eager to please. We arrive on a job, fully equipped and uniformed in a well maintained vehicle, fit for purpose. We meet and greet, introduce ourselves, by name and then asked to be shown around the property. We then form a strategy that will enable us to complete the house removal as quickly and efficiently as is possible and offer advice to the customer to help them understand the way it will work and how they can help if they wish or assist us in carrying out our role more efficiently.
Who are we? Why not meet the team? Check our about us page and see our staff. Learn about their strengths, and nick-names!
We're not the best, and we're not the worst. We're right in the middle. The same can be said for our pricing. We offer a service with all of the bells and whistles. We're fully insured and well equipped. Our staff are experienced, smartly dressed and keen. They're all polite, friendly and will enjoy sharing a bit of banter whilst maintaining a professional approach.
A sad goodbye
One company, which we sadly said goodbye to this month as they made the decision to cease trading and move onto employment was Clay's Removals of Hull. We have had a long and happy work relationship with the Clay's, spanning many years. The team consisted mainly of two brothers, Mark and Lee Clay who did a fantastic job at moving people. We have been known to send them out in our work-wear and vehicles when we have been short of staff. Sadly, they have decided to find other means of work due to being forced under by the 'will beat any quote' bunch. Those that come and go like the seasons, do their damage to the general reputation of the industry and leave. This goes to show how much of a shambles this industry is in. The Clay's are honest, hard-working, reliable and above all, nice people to have around. I personally don't think they charged enough for the service that they offered but when it came up in conversation, their answer was that they were constantly being under-cut by the cut-throat newcomers. They just couldn't reach the revenue needed to keep a legitimate removal company afloat due to the cowboy, uninsured, illegal removal companies that cut all corners and use removals to supplement their benefits. But people will choose these cowboys to save £20, which is understandable but from our point of view, and others in the know - there goes some of the good-guys. Which is really sad both for the Clay's and the industry they have left.
Something to be taken from this is as follows. We have all heard of cowboy builders. Well the house removals industry has the same issue. By booking these little 'will beat any quote' people, you are contributing to the problem. Professional companies are often priced out of a job due to the fact they cover all angles. In effect, they are being penalised for doing things properly and the people who are taking a risk with your property are being rewarded the work by being able to offer their services cheaper, sometime much cheaper..
Are all big companies worthy?
We constantly study our industry. Looking for ways to improve, tips, tricks and know-how is always advantageous. We came across a company called Movago which is pressing into the UK market from their base in Germany. They have a lovely site, a very compelling web-presence if you ask me, personally. It has a video showing you how you can have the ultimate fixed-price move. No hidden extras. They even have a blog! Their blog, when you read it closely actually discriminates against independent removal companies such as ours but when you scratch the surface, there are some horrible things going on!
Take a look at this page. Then look at their official website. Eek! But you can see how people are sucked in.
Some related articles that we have found across the web.
This one is about a local removal company. Fair enough it is going back some time but it happened and could easily happen again. Read the guardian's article on The removals firm that loaded up the furniture... and disappeared. There are comments on this article by Hardakers and Arnold's Removals on Hull.
Read about the couple that lost everything when Lee Green, of the Black County decided to take a couple's household contents somewhere other than their new home here.
And lastly, this article has been featured on our blog previously. Read about the businessman that lost thousands of pounds worth of Champagne buy using a website which finds you the cheapest mover here.
Who is the best removal company for you - to round off
We hope that you have enjoyed reading our spin on 'who is the best removal company' and we hope that it has shed some light on the removal industry. We'd like to round off by assuring that you that we are a legitimate removal company and can be trusted, without limitation to carry out your removal safely and efficiently. Though we may not be the cheapest option, which we are fully aware of since we cannot compete with Joe Bloggs who uses his horse-box to carry out removals to buy himself a few extra pints at the weekend. We are worth every penny.
If you are looking for an international solution then we would definitely recommend Appleyards - Removals Hull.